Sunday, October 10, 2010

(Saturday) In the Kitchen: Stuffed Squash, Martha-Style

So, I also made this stuffed acorn squash for the picnic. I had seen a recipe for stuffed acorn squash in Martha recently, I think, or at least, on an email from her (yes, her personally).

But I didn't like the stuffing, which was all sweet and fruity. Just too much with the sweet squash. So instead, I made a spicy veggie curry mixed with rice, with some cinnamon and nutmeg to tie the taste into the squash. Oh, and I topped it with fried blanched almonds, a little trick I've picked up from some Moroccans I know (and by that I mean my husband). It was delicious!


Instructions:
- Roast the squash in the oven (duh). It takes about an hour. Don't forget to season the squash before you stuff it!
- Dice and cook vegetables - whatever you'd like to include, really. I used a number of onions (which I caramelized first before adding the other veggies), carrots, summer squash and cauliflower. I wanted vegetables that could be both savory and a little sweet at the same time.
- Caramelize the onions with a bit of butter and then add the other veggies. I added about a teaspoon each of: cumin, paprika, turmeric, ginger, curry, pepper and salt. I also added a couple pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add some water and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes and adding water if need be.
- Cook rice concurrently :)
- Mix it together and stuff the squash. I made a lot (I wanted leftovers for lunch today) so you could reduce this recipe if you just wanted to stuff the squash.

Serve, and feel proud like Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment