Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In the Kitchen: Butternut Squash Soup

OK, I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but I sure have been cooking up a storm lately. Today I made butternut squash soup, all the while arguing with myself that what I really wanted was pie for dinner. Nevermind all that, here's how I made it, which I would call "the lazy person's guide to butternut squash soup."

I cut the squash in half, scooped out the seeds, and roasted it for 50 minutes in the oven. It is WAY too much work to peel and chop this monster, I think. Roasting it makes it easy to scoop out with a spoon.

I sauteed onion and garlic with butter in a large pot, for about 10 minutes. Then I added about two cups of my homemade vegetable stock (insert smug smile here) and scooped out the squash into the pot with everything else. Then I added about a cup of whole milk for good measure. Salt, pepper, cinnamon, cumin, ginger. Puree in batches in your blender and eat! That's about it. I forgot to take pictures during the process so you just get to see the finished soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment