Thursday, January 14, 2010

Homemade Moroccan Food

I was treated like a veritable princess in Morocco. Moroccans are famous for their hospitality and they really lived up to it, and then some. Here are some pictures of the food my fiance's mom made for us, as well as some pretty breakfast spreads.






The two pastry-crust covered "pies" are called pastilla. One was filled with seafood and one with a combination of chicken, almonds, curry and brown sugar. Sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. OH HOW I LONG FOR THIS!

The tagine, of course, is a Moroccan classic as well and you can't tell from this picture but it was giant. The size of a Thanksgiving Turkey. And delicious. And surround by delicious sides: beets, tomato and onion salad and some sort of sweet cucumber minty drink that was amazingly refreshing and unusual tasting.

Breakfast was full of Mediterranean goodies. Local olives, olive oil from a relative's olive farm, fresh eggs, cheeses and homemade "nsimmon." I made up how to spell that. It's somewhere between a crepe and a pancake, served warm, with honey and olive oil. Plus Moroccan tea, coffee and juice, but in Morocco juice is always freshly squeezed. So we had deliciously fresh juices, every morning. Oh I wish I was still there!

Finally there's a birthday cake for my fiance. It says "Happy Birthday Idriss" in Arabic, so they tell me :) But this one is from a bakery.

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog through BYW, and I'm drooling after looking at the gorgeous Moroccan food! Love the other pics too.....maybe I need to go make breakfast!

    ReplyDelete